Join us May 16th and 17th for the Critical Care
On the Air Radiothon in support of STARS air ambulance.
We’ll highlight the life-saving work they carry out every day across Manitoba.
STARS crew members, patients and their families will join us on the air to share their in-the-air experiences.
CALL TO DONATE Winkler: 1-833-885-1552
QUICK FACTS ABOUT STARS – Shock Trauma Air Rescue Service
- Calgary was the first STARS base and opened in 1985 as a result of the efforts of a dedicated group of volunteers and the assistance of the Lions Club.
- The Edmonton base opened in 1991 and Grande Prairie base opened in 2006.
- The Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon bases opened in 2012.
- STARS is a non-profit organization that operates on a community partnered model that consists of government funding, community fundraising, individual donations and corporate support.
- Funds raised in Manitoba stay in Manitoba.
- STARS does not bill patients for its service in Manitoba.
- STARS is dispatched most commonly for scene calls and inter-hospital transfers but has been asked on occasion to assist in search and rescue missions and disaster response.
- 619 missions were flown during the 2016-17 fiscal year from the base in Winnipeg.
- STARS is the first helicopter air ambulance service in Canada to begin stocking blood in advance for life-saving transfusions on air medical missions.
- Human patient simulators replicate complex medical and traumatic problems and offers medical personnel an opportunity to test and practice their reactions and skills.
- Operational Outreach program includes how emergency responders can access STARS, how to land the helicopter and preparing patients for transport – designed for emergency and medical personnel.
STARS IN OUR COMMUNITY
Thanks to these Radiothon Sponsors
Stride Credit Union, Portage Co-op, Corex Resources Ltd., Eastside Collision Centre, Secan, KK Penner Tire Sales, Lemazing Mechanical, Manitoba Pork, Diamond Ready Mix, Exchange Petroleum and Craig Dunn Motor City.