Winkler Fire Department responded to a chimney fire Monday afternoon. The call came in shortly before 5 p.m. from a home on Mountain Avenue.

Chief Richard Paetzold said the fire was contained to the chimney, with the owner closing the damper to slow the flames before crews arrived.

The fire did not spread beyond the chimney, and once on site, firefighters ensured extinguishment.

With fireplace season coming to an end, Paetzold reminds homeowners to regularly clean their chimneys to help prevent fires from starting.

- with files from Pam Fedack -