Students and staff have returned to Morden Collegiate after briefly being moved, as a precautionary measure, to the Access Event Centre earlier today.

Shortly after 9 a.m. Friday, school administrators were informed a gas meter outside the building on the east side of the school had been damaged overnight, and some of the fumes were coming into the school. Students and staff were first moved outside to 5th Street, and then to the Access Event Centre while repairs took place. Crews wrapped up those repairs around 11 a.m., with students and staff back at the school for classes for the remainder of the day shortly afterward.

The  JV boys basketball team departure to their Carman tournament will happen as scheduled.

The incident did not involve Ecole Morden Middle School, and staff and students remained in the building with classes as usual.

In an email to parents, Western Division officials thanked the Access Event Centre and the City of Morden for providing staff and students a warm place to wait and their generosity. They also thanked the Division's maintenance staff and Manitoba Hydro for their quick response.